Thursday, April 17, 2014

BLACK OLIVE TAPENADE

 I'm the type of gal who will take salty over sweet any time.  I always keep a jar of olives or capers on hand, and I add them to meat sauces or pasta.  As a kid I would snack on green olives while I watched my mom cook dinner.  I've never really experimented with black olives though. A couple of months ago I bought a jar of black olives to add as salad toppers for a diet I was doing, but found that this particular brand of black olives (which shall not be named) didn't have much flavor.  So the olives sat in my fridge, and sat, and sat, and took up space from all the other delicious condiments.  So I thought, "how can I get rid of these suckers?" Olive Tapenade.

Here's the recipe:
     - 1 4.6 oz jar of Kalamata Olives
     - 1 tbs Olive Oil
     - 1 tbs Capers
     - 1 tsp Whole Grain Mustard
     - 1 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
     - 1 clove of garlic
     - salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
     ( I added a few green olives with pimentos in there to punch up the flavor)

In a food processor, mince together the olives, capers, garlic, mustard, lemon juice and olive oil.  Once the ingredients are chopped to your desired texture (I don't like mine too minced and mushy), add salt and pepper.  Be careful with the salt!  All of these ingredients are very salty on their own.

Serve on a warm crusty baguette.  I added a little crumbled feta on top of mine.  Everything is betta' with Feta.




Easy, quick and tasty recipe great for snacking or to serve as an appetizer for dinner parties.  Enjoy!

Ale

2 comments:

  1. I'm the same - salty over sweet. I love green olives and olive tapenade is my favourite form of black olives so I must give this a try!

    Thanks for recipe, it looks great :)
    www.dancingthroughsunday.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! This looks delicious. I love any kind of olive and this looks like the perfect snack. I actually have my own jar of black olives that's a bit lacking and would be perfect for this recipe! And on warm baguette.....yes please!! Thanks for the recipe :)

    http://www.brookemeaganjones.com

    ReplyDelete